Recently a friend asked for help with the, uh, challenges of cleanly installing a new version or build of a custom component for SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
Here are the steps:
- Close BIDS or Visual Studio.
- Uninstall the old version of the component.
- Install the new version of the component, including the following steps:
- Copy the main assembly to the appropriate component folder under the 32-bit Program Files folder.
- Copy the main assembly to the appropriate component folder under the 64-bit Program Files folder.
- Install the appropriate assemblies in the global assembly cache (GAC).
- Stop and restart the SSIS service (because it caches the list of installed components).
- Restart BIDS or Visual Studio.
- If necessary, make manual adjustments to the list of custom components in the Toolbox.
Please email me at email@example.com with comments, clarifications, corrections, or curses. I have disabled comments on my blog due to the volume of spam, but I still like to hear from you!